Annual Free Public Guided Hikes, Walks, and Tours
Save Mount Diablo’s Discover Diablo program offers an annual series of free public activities:
- Bilingual Spanish-English hikes
- Family walks
- Rock-climbing events
- Trail runs
- Mountain-biking events
- Plein-air painting events
- Property tours
- And more!
Join Save Mount Diablo in exploring the Bay Area’s beautiful wild lands and open spaces!
Discover Diablo is a free public outings program led by staff and volunteer naturalists that offers an annual schedule of various outdoor activities including guided interpretive family walks, hikes, and property tours. These events are open to any and all trailblazers looking to get out in nature. All hikes are free but in order to create the best experience and least impact on the environment, capacity is limited and advanced registration is required.
Property tours are led on Save Mount Diablo conserved sites. These are unique opportunities to explore privately-held lands that are otherwise closed to the public. Join us on these tours to learn more about the special ecological and cultural features of each conserved site.
The goal of Discover Diablo is to connect people to nature through outdoor recreation and to build awareness of both the land conservation movement and the importance of permanently protecting open spaces. Through this program, we aim to reach new audiences, grow our membership base, and spark a passion for Diablo’s wild, natural lands in the youngest of trailblazers.
Upcoming Hikes Calendar
Hike Rating System
- Take a nice stroll with us! Easy hikes are generally suitable for anyone who enjoys walking. The terrain is mostly level or with a slight incline. Usually less than three miles.
- Moderate hikes are generally suitable for novice hikers. The terrain involves a moderate incline and may have some steeper sections.
- Moderately Strenuous
- Moderately Strenuous hikes will tend to be challenging for an unconditioned person. The terrain will involve a steady and often steep incline.
- Strenuous hikes will challenge most hikers. The hike will generally be longer and steeper, but may be deemed “strenuous” because of the elevation gain. Usually more than five miles.
Discover Diablo FAQ
Discover Diablo is proudly sponsored by the Martinez Refining Company.