Gifts of Stock, IRA Distributions, and Donor Advised Funds
Making gifts of appreciated stock, charitable distributions directly from your individual retirement account, or donations from your donor advised fund can reduce your tax liability while increasing your philanthropic impact. These are also all great ways to support the continued work and mission of Save Mount Diablo.
Save Mount Diablo is a 501(c)3 charity with tax ID# 94-2681735. As Save Mount Diablo may not offer legal or tax advice, we recommend that you work with qualified financial and legal advisors before making your gift.
Making a Gift of Stock
How to make a gift:
- Please contact Karen Ferriere at 925-407-7551 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following so that we can anticipate and acknowledge your gift.
- Name of donor, address, and telephone number
- Name of stock or mutual fund and number of shares to be donated
- Anticipated date of transfer
- Restrictions on the purpose of the gift, if any
- Special instructions, if any
- Please provide your stockbroker with the following information to ensure that your gift of stock is delivered to our account:
Save Mount Diablo
Tax ID# 94-2681735
Union Banc Investment Services
Account Name: Save Mount Diablo—Reserve Fund
Account #: 0BP695602
Attn: Steve Baumhoff
350 California Street, 18th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
Giving from Your IRA
If you’re 70½ years or older, supporting Save Mount Diablo with a gift through your individual retirement account (IRA) may be a great way to give.
IRA gifts offer a variety of benefits for you and for the charities you support. Charitable distributions from your IRA (often called “charitable rollovers” or “qualified charitable distributions/QCDs”) are an easy way to give from your appreciated assets.
When these gifts are made directly from your IRA to a charity, the distribution is not included in your taxable income. This means you can avoid federal income tax that would otherwise be due on IRA withdrawals. Plus, any gifts you make directly from your IRA will be counted toward your annual required minimum distribution.
- You must be 70½ or older at the time you make your gift
- The transfer must go directly from your IRA to Save Mount Diablo to avoid income tax obligations
- Your total charitable giving from your IRA cannot exceed $100,000 annually
IRA gifts often arrive to our office without identification, so please contact Karen Ferriere at 925-407-7551 or by email at email@example.com to let us know that your gift is on its way. Please let us know your IRA administrator and the amount of your distribution so that we can easily identify and acknowledge your gift.
Giving from Your Donor Advised Fund (DAF)
Donor advised funds (DAFs) are an increasingly popular way of making charitable contributions. This simple and tax-efficient giving vehicle enables individuals to make a contribution to the DAF, receive an immediate tax deduction, and recommend grants from the fund to their favorite charities over time.
Many donors to Save Mount Diablo recommend gifts from their DAFs held at Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, and Vanguard Charitable.
If you have a DAF, you can recommend grants directly to support Save Mount Diablo. Simply click the link below to find your fund and initiate your donation recommendation.