Save Mount Diablo logo Save Mount Diablo shopping cart
About SMD Why We Care Lands Activities News How to Help Partners Contact

Mount Diablo - Round Valley
  Lands > Land Use > Tassajara Valley  
   
  » Acquisitions  
  line  
 

» Land Use
· Communication Towers
· Concord Naval Weapons Station
· James Donlon Extension
· Magee Ranch
· Measure F in Brentwood
· Pittsburg Grading Project
·Pittsburg Hills Annexation
· Tassajara Valley
· Threat to the Subdivision Map Act

 
  line  
  » Stewardship  
  » Diablo Trail Map  
   
     
   
  Register  
  Join Us  
  Sign Up  
     

 

Tassajara Valley

tassajara_valley_panoramic

For 20 years Save Mount Diablo and other have been defending the Tassajara Valley andtassajara_valley_aerial_view its surrounding hills. This beautiful valley stretches east of Danville’s Blackhawk and San Ramon’s Dougherty Valley and lies to the north of Dublin and Livermore. Situated just east of the Contra Costa County Urban Limit Line and San Ramon’s Urban Growth Boundary, Tassajara Valley has been the object of several major development proposals. In 2010, Save Mount Diablo, our members and other allies in San Ramon helped to defeat Measure W, which would have brought the Valley within San Ramon’s Urban Growth Boundary and set the stage for its development.

For now, Tassajara Valley remains an agricultural and open space buffer with preserved landsin every direction. It includes important sections of Tassajara Creek, which has its headwaters in Mount Diablo State Park and offers important wildlife movement corridors and habitat for several endangered species. The Valley is also known for its striking beauty and is highly visible from many vantage points on the nearby preserved open space.

hills_at_risk_in_New_Farm_projectThe latest threat to the Tassajara Valley is the re-surfaced “New Farm” project, which proposes to place 185 ranchette-style houses on 771 acres in the heart of the Valley. The project’s proponents are seeking rezoning to build these hobby "farms" along with a cemetery on land that is outside the County’s voter-approved Urban Limit Line (ULL) and in violation of the County’s 65/35 Land Preservation Plan. Under that plan, no more than 35 percent of the County’s land is to be developed for urban uses; the remaining 65 percent is to be maintained in agriculture, open space, recreation, aesthetics, and wildlife habitat. If constructed, the "New Farm" development would break the County’s ULL and set a precedent for further development of the area. It would also lead to habitat fragmentation and likely impair the East Bay Regional Park District’s efforts to create a Doolan Canyon/Tassajara Hills Regional Park.

We are also fighting the Creekside Memorial Cemetery, another project in the Tassajara Valley that would fragment threatened wildlife habitat and degrade the beauty of the valley. It would also negatively affect existing trails and protected open space. To read more about Creekside Memorial Cemetery and what you can do to stop it, click here

Save Mount Diablo and our allies are actively involved in defending the Tassajara Valley.

 


 
  Credits | Legal StatementCopyright 2012 Save Mount Diablo. Designed by Alison Martin. Funded by Clif Bar.